WALTHAM, Mass., June 26, 2018 — Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA), the leading provider of kidney care products and services, today announced the publication of its 2018 Annual Medical Report, offering expert insights on the latest science and innovation that is transforming clinical practice and patient care. Entitled “Go Further, Faster: Translating Science Into Practice,” this year’s report features insights from more than two dozen FMCNA and Fresenius Medical Care leaders, researchers, scientists, mathematicians and caregivers from across the enterprise. The collective content demonstrates the power of uniting people and possibility toward one unified purpose: our patients.
In an introductory whitepaper, Frank Maddux, MD, FACP, FMCNA’s Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President for Clinical and Scientific Affairs, offers a visionary look into four key concepts shaping the evolution of kidney care:
- Translating science into practice, one of FMCNA’s greatest competitive advantages;
- The benefits of a reclassification of kidney disease;
- Evolving the elements and processes of personalized kidney care; and
- Recognizing the health impact of social determinants.
“Our unmatched ability to translate science into practice and Fresenius Medical Care’s vertically-integrated structure ensures we always consider the clinical, behavioral and environmental factors impacting our patients’ lives,” said Dr. Maddux. “Embracing new science and innovation for the benefit of our patients is one of the many ways we are working to reimagine kidney care. This year’s annual medical report reflects the depth of our expertise and demonstrates our commitment to setting the industry standard for patient-centered care.”
Additional highlights from the report include:
- How technology and care coordination are driving the growth of home therapies and the ability for patients to choose dialysis care outside the walls of a dialysis clinic;
- How using complex mathematics and science drives innovations, such as creating a virtual cinacalcet clinical trial to create computerized mathematical physiologic models – avatars – of patients;
- Best practices in antibiotic stewardship to help minimize the unintended consequences of antibiotic usage in patients with end stage renal disease;
- How the company’s advanced capabilities to “listen through numbers” is driving clinical innovation by going from descriptive to prescriptive analytics – and thus creating innovative predictive models to improve patient care; and
- How FMCNA’s focus on emerging science, such as bioengineered vessels, has immediate potential to address the current limitations in dialysis vascular access and serve as a more cost-effective, reliable and safe alternative to arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs), AV grafts and central venous catheters.
Business units represented in the 2018 Annual Medical Report include FMCNA (Corporate); Fresenius Kidney Care; FreseniusRx; Fresenius Health Partners; Renal Therapies Group; Azura Vascular Care; Frenova Renal Research; Renal Research Institute and Acumen Physician Solutions.
Read the full report here.
About Fresenius Medical Care North America
Fresenius Medical Care North America is the premier health care company focused on providing the highest quality care to people with renal and other chronic conditions. Through its industry-leading network of dialysis facilities, outpatient cardiac and vascular labs, and urgent care centers, as well as the country’s largest practice of hospitalist and post-acute providers, Fresenius Medical Care North America provides coordinated health care services at pivotal care points for hundreds of thousands of chronically ill customers throughout the continent. As the world’s largest fully integrated renal company, it offers specialty pharmacy and laboratory services, and manufactures and distributes the most comprehensive line of dialysis equipment, disposable products and renal pharmaceuticals. For more information, visit the FMCNA website at https://fmcna.com/.